Honest talk about the San Jose Sharks.

Monday, April 9, 2012

The future Sharks moves

Regardless of how the playoffs come and go, I feel that something needs to change in the locker room.  I write this before the playoffs start so it's not reactionary to an early season exit, or even if they do wonderfully well, thus that clouding my future judgement of what this team needs.

The team has clearly shown this season that there is something wrong in the locker room.  Many fault Joe Thornton mostly for his playoff performances, but his last one was fairly good.  He was the biggest player in upsetting Detroit both times they've knocked them out in the 2nd round.  He's still a stud player and can control the play.

So who needs to go?

Marleau is the first that comes to mind.  For a guy who has a cap hit over 6 million he needs to come with serious leadership qualities, and I don't think he has these.  You can't just be a body that plays once in awhile.  I used to defend Marleau for years.  He has all the tools to be a complete stud and for whatever reason he just doesn't use these tools consistently.  So I say, trade him for the best package of youth you can get. If you can get a high first rounder for him, then fire away Doug Wilson.

I don't want to see this person go, but I think with the addition of Brent Burns, it is worth looking at now, rather than later.  Dan Boyle is one of my favorites and he could bring in a great return right now from the right team.  If they wait any longer his value diminishes as he's getting older, but he's still a stud power play quarterback.  I would imagine a team like Edmonton would love him and they have some great youth to send back.

Both of those guys would bring in some great tools to help build the team for the future and not just now.  Pavelski and Couture are the two forwards who will lead the forward core for years to come, unless one is traded.

This brings me to the next section of this.  I think Pavelski may get traded to help land Rick Nash to play alongside Thornton.  I don't mind going after Nash (though his cap hit is atrocious), but giving up either Pavelski or Couture is a big mistake.  They're both heart and soul guys on this team, which the team lacks right now.  Now, if this trade involves the possible 1st overall pick, which would land them Yakupov, then I'd be interested in seeing how this trade plays out.

The Sharks need to consider their future at this point period.  They are ranked by many hockey institutions as having the worst or least skilled prospect pool.  The last promising prospect that had me excited was Charlie Coyle, who was used in the Brent Burns trade.  I'd do that trade again as Burns is huge for the Sharks blueline core.  After him, the cupboards are quite bare and Doug Wilson needs to consider stockpiling somehow.

One, idea that I've had, and it is a long shot, is try to lure Zach Parise.  Hear me out, if the Sharks do trade away Marleau for youth up front or for the blueline, then this is quite feasible.  I'd rather have Parise than Nash by a long shot.  Here is why it won't happen, Doug Wilson isn't a big spender in July.  He prefers to trade and that is why Nash is much more likely to happen.

So think about it Jawheads and let me know what you think should happen.  I don't have the answers, but I know something needs to happen to help this team become more consistent with their gameplan.

As always,

Go Sharks!

No comments:

Post a Comment